Universal Music Group Innovation Challenge
The music industry is emerging from an era of significant disruption as consumer adoption of streaming has resulted in shifting music consumption. Today, as we enter a new decade, the industry has returned to profitability, and the industry remains more engaged than ever in creative and cutting-edge advancements in technology that are influencing artist discovery and development, music creation, recording, distribution and promotion.
The goal of this challenge is to design consumer experiences and B2B technologies that will drive the next phase of the digital music revolution. Your team will be expected to present a detailed vision for a product or technology in the form of a power point deck and/or product mock-ups.
• Lifestyle Product Challenge: Build a Mexico-centric consumer app that includes streaming music and at least one of the following user-generated videos, fashion, dance, gaming or tattoos.
• Metadata Challenge: Build new methods of creating or capturing metadata around Spanish-language music that can be used to help listeners find music they like in a voice-activated environment.
• A&R: The art of discovering talent has evolved rapidly with the rise of social media and user generated video services, design the next generation of tools for artist and influencer discovery.
• Marketing: Using available data sources and messaging technologies, build a platform or tool that will to enhance UMG artists’ direct relationships with their fans. However, we are not looking for you to create a “social network for artists and fans.”
• Artificial Intelligence: AI is changing the way music is composed, promoted and shared. Using AI technology, develop new tools for music creation and artist development.
• UX/UI Design
• Behavioral scientists with Gen M and Gen Z expertise
• AI and Machine learning engineers
• Voice specialists
• Business designer
About Universal Music Group
Universal Music Group (UMG) is the world leader in music-based entertainment, with a broad array of businesses engaged in recorded music, music publishing, merchandising and audiovisual content in more than 60 countries. Featuring the most comprehensive catalog of recordings and songs across every musical genre, UMG identifies and develops artists and produces and distributes the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful music in the world. Committed to artistry, innovation and entrepreneurship, UMG fosters the development of services, platforms and business models in order to broaden artistic and commercial opportunities for our artists and create new experiences for fans. Universal Music Group is a Vivendi company. Find out more at: http://www.universalmusic.com.
The idea should be sent at the time of registration, very well explained and documented. If it is in English it will be a plus because the mentoring and pitch will be in English.
Director, Digital Tech Strategy, UMG
Sujata has mentored at music and technology hackathons around the world (SXSW, Outside Hacks, Hack the Music CDMX). Her expertise has been leveraged by startups in the Capitol 360 digital music accelerator. In addition to her extensive experience in digital music, Sujata has been invited to speak about women in technology by LA Mayor Eric Garcetti’s WiSTEM program.
Sujata holds a BS in computer science from the University of Florida.